Monday, March 17, 2008

Why Adoption? Why Ethiopia?

WHY ADOPTION -

As we wait and wait and wait for a travel date, I thought I would put down some general adoption info so people who feel like reading can get caught up on our journey...
If you got our Christmas letter and read it, most of this is a repeat of info posted there.
Beautiful B was due to arrive on June 12. I had quit my job in the fall and was happily spending the spring getting ready for his arrival. I had a nasty cold and cough and just felt out of sorts. I saw my doc for my regular check up on April 22. He gave me some cough syrup and told me to rest up. My blood pressure was a bit higher than normal, but not outside the normal range. My protein levels were a bit high, too, but I normally had afternoon appointments and this appointment was first thing in the morning. T and I had our last birthing class on April 25 and I had a bit of a back ache. By the time we drove home, I was fully reclined in the car and suffering from sharp pain in my shoulder blade area. A quick call to the doc on call and we were back in the car to get checked out at the hospital.

Upon arrival and a quick exam, I was told I was staying at the hospital until I delivered the baby. I was showing signs of pre-eclampsia. My blood pressure was sky high (180s/100s - I can't remember exactly). Proteins super high. Time for magnesium and a long hospital stay. I was 7 weeks from my due date and a bit freaked out. By morning, the docs decided that I wasn't going to be able to carry him for 3 more weeks and if I couldn't last 3 weeks, it was better to deliver him that day and let me get better.

B was born that night around 10. He weighed 3 lbs 13 oz and was just 16.75 inches tall. He went right to the NICU to get monitored. THANKFULLY he was ok. He never needed breathing help and he slept his days away. He needed light therapy for jaundice (almost all preemies do) and he had to learn how to maintain his body temperature. He also had to learn how to eat enough to grow - without sleeping through each feeding. In 17 LONG days, he was ready to go home.
My doc told me that any subsequent pregnancies of mine would be considered high risk. They don't know a lot about pre-eclampsia and can't predict if you will have it again. If you have it, again, it can be much worse. Since pre-eclampsia can develop into eclampsia and eclampsia can kill both Mom and baby, we figured God was telling us that all additional children in our family would be adopted.

WHY ETHIOPIA -
First, Ethiopia is a county of desperate need: 4-5 million orphans and that number is growing, expected to reach nearly 20 million within 20 years if drastic measures aren't taken.

Second, the government of Ethiopia has recognized that they have a desperate situation on their hands. They don't have the social services in place to help feed, clothe and educate the millions of children who have lost one or both parents. As a result of this realization, they have cut much of the red tape that used to exist in international adoption. They are making it easier to get the children into the homes of families who want to love and raise them.

Third, when adopting from Ethiopia, the adoption process, including travel in-country, is quick and regimented. With Todd's hectic work schedule, we knew from day one of the process what to expect from the day we arrive to pick up G until the day we leave for the US.

Fourth, Ethiopia is a beautiful country full of beautiful people. A country full of people who love their children and have immense pride in their culture.

I could go on...

No comments: