Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ethiopia on My Mind





As we approach G's first birthday, I am thinking more and more about her birth country. Partially, I finally had a little time to start sorting our photos from our trip to Ethiopia. (Honestly, every time I sit down to work on this project I only get a few minutes into it and get very sad.) Partially, because as the seasons change, I wonder who is thinking about her. 

When you live in a mud hut (and probably don't own any items with words written on them, let alone a western calendar), I can only assume that the passage of time is mostly felt through the changing of the seasons. So, as we approach G's birthday, I wonder who, if anyone, is thinking of this beautiful little creature and of the day she was born. It seems to be human nature to become a bit reflective upon an anniversary or a birthday. 

For many adoptive families, birthdays are bitter sweet. Yes, it's a day to celebrate. However,  it is probably a day when another family, many times half-way around the world, is especially sad, thinking of the little person they no longer have the opportunity to hug each morning and tuck into bed each night. As our children age, it's a time for them to wonder, "Do they miss me?" 

Often times adoptive parents only talk to friends and extended family about the happy side of adoption. For now, the reason G came into care is a private story, since she isn't able to pick and choose how to share it. Honestly, is there ever a happy beginning to these stories? Probably not. Someone had to make the most gut wrenching decision of their life. Had to put their child's fate into the hands of strangers and pray for a good outcome. Yes, often times, the outcome is good. Their children are living with families who love and adore them. Food on the table. House. Clothing. Education. Opportunity. However, no matter how permanent this separation may be in the eyes of the law, no one forgets their birth child. I hope that G's birth family, if they are reflecting on this day, feel a sense of peace. I hope they know that, even though their loss is great, we are ever grateful to them for their sacrifice.

No comments: