Friday, November 28, 2008

Thankful

A friend posted her thankful list on her blog, so I wanted to follow suit.  As the list could go on for pages, I will try to keep it brief. 

1. My family. All of them. Beginning with my spouse, kids, parents, siblings, niece, nephew, grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins. This includes my friends. Those people who are family, just not by blood or marriage. Those who are there to celebrate the goodness and lament the sadness. Those who answer the phone even when they don't have time to talk. Those who understand when I hang up the phone in an instant because of some kid crisis and I don't have to explain. Please note that I don't put the words "in-laws" in the above list, because in our family, in-laws are just that - family. Parents means the four of them. Siblings, too. 

2. Modern Medicine. I am fighting a nasty cold and it just reminds me that as uncomfortable as I am this week, I am alive. It will pass. It won't be my end. If I get worse, my physician is a phone call away. I have choices of who to see and when to see them. I have medication available if I need it. Clean, well-run hospitals all over town. Ambulances to get me there quickly. 

3. Creature Comforts.  Without the house, cars, clothing, life would be tough. Too many don't have enough. I want to make sure I am appreciative of what I do have.  

4. The beautiful place where I live. Not just our home itself (which I really do love), but all that surrounds us. View of the mountain, beautiful trees, lots of green space. We have great neighbors. Those who are there when we need them but never too nosey or noisy. I love our city and our state. I love that we are 90 minutes from the sound of the ocean and 90 minutes from snow just about every day of the year. Our country. With a few exceptions, living in this country means you have food, clothing, shelter, clean water, and an education. 

5. Travel. I love visiting new corners of the globe. We are so fortunate to be able to see the world as part of Todd's job (aka - partially paid for). We are traveling less now with two kids, but look forward to ramping it up again as G gets older. 

6. Laughter. Today, the kids were playing in G's room and B was making her laugh. It lasted for quite some time. I wished, in that moment, that I could bottle the feeling I get when I see it, hear it, feel it. Unconditional happiness. 

7. Good Food. I didn't realize until I was in college that not every Mom was a good cook. All of the members of our family can cook a decent meal. Even those we tease or may only cook one particular dish, but they do it well. I married into a family with the same talents. Family gatherings are always accompanied by good food. But not just the good food at home. The good food being prepared in our area, too. After college, I really started to enjoy our local restaurant scene. Always trying a new restaurant. Ordering something unique. Lately, a few of the good restaurants in town have closed their doors. Sign of our tough economic times. Makes me feel bad for not going out more since we became parents. Makes me feel blessed that we still have the option. 

8. Public Servants. I am grateful and thankful for the men and women who protect us at home and abroad. Those who work for our cities, states and nation. From the TSA to the POTUSA. I am thankful that someone is protecting me when I sleep, even if I don't see it every day. I am thankful for those who keep our streets safe and clean. Those who teach our children. Those who deliver our mail. Those who keep the electricity, water, etc. connected to our homes. 

9. My spiritual life. I have a hard time putting this into words. I am thankful for my faith, my church, and our Priest.  Father B married us, invited T to become a Catholic, baptized both of our children, buried my grandfather and who continues to play a key role in our weekly faith journey. 

10. Philanthropy. I grew up listening to U2 play on the local radio station. My favorite movie stars posed in magazines. Today, Bono is raising money every chance he can to help those who are dying of AIDS in Africa. In fact, I recently heard him talk about why he became involved. It started with a trip to Ethiopia. Imagine that.  Brad Pitt spends as much time in the press talking about feeding the hungry and rebuilding the fallen, etc. as he does plugging his latest movie. The wealthy and famous could just be sitting around looking pretty and instead they are trying to bring awareness to the masses. It has become popular to be philanthropic.   

If you are still reading, thanks for that, too.


1 comment:

rebekah said...

Wonderful. It's a rewarding exercise, isn't it?

Did I tell you we're thinking of moving out West?