Friday, January 9, 2009

The Reason

Before we decided to adopt, I thought long and hard about how our family would change if we added another child. The biggest draw for me was that I wanted B to have someone else in the world to love him and someone else for him to love, long after we were gone. T is an only child, so he doesn't understand the unique relationship of siblings. Doesn't understand the phrase "good argument" or "great fight" when it comes to dealing with others. He doesn't like conflict and for him, most sibling relationships seem full of just that. However, with two older sisters, I can look back on my childhood, as well as my adult life, and see that my relationship with my sisters is such an important part of me. I know I can call them, day or night, good news or bad and they will be there. We can joke about our family issues or tease about a silly haircut, bad choice in boyfriend or unique hobby. No one else in the world will be there from birth to death. I hope my plan is working. It looks like it might.




No comments: