Monday, May 25, 2009

Bambi?

We were blessed with a 70 degree and sunny Memorial Day weekend. In fact, most of last week and the coming week has been beautiful. As we prepared to have dinner outside tonight, T and the kids were playing on the play structure and all of a sudden, T noticed a little something special on the edge of the play area. 

Can you spot her?



I saw the brown fur from upstairs and thought maybe a squirrel had met an early demise. Then I saw the white spots. 


She was no bigger than a cat or small dog. We decided that we'd eat inside to keep the noise level down in hopes her mom would return. (The neighbors thought they'd spotted her earlier in the day in their yard.) Another neighbor's dog got loose and I got nervous, so I headed back out to see her after we ate. Her head was up and by the time we had a camera, she made it to her feet. Her hooves were so clean, I really wonder if she wasn't born right there. She was so unsteady on her legs, both T and I wondered if we hadn't just witnessed her first steps. 


We kept the kids back and made sure the neighbor dog wasn't going to get to her. She tried to hide under the ferns. I checked on her a few minutes later and she was gone. Hopefully, off to find her mom. 


1 comment:

Karin said...

That is sooooo special. I hope she's been reunited with her mom. I'm such a sucker for animals, this made me weepy!