Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Ode to play group moms

Before I had children, I had this notion that when B was born, I would instantly reconnect with all of my friends who had children of their own. But a funny thing happens when you become a parent, as the baby grows, you grow with them. The mother of a newborn is a different animal than the mother of a 6 month old, 12 month old, toddler, school-age child, etc. So the beautiful thing about my play group mommy friends is that they GET IT. Their babies are the same age as B, give or take a couple of months. We were sleepless together, teething together and now potty-training together. We discuss vacation plans, minivans and pre-schools. It's not that my other friends can't help, but we are all so caught up in being parents and all that it entails that it's hard to make time more than a 5 minute phone call or the occasional summer BBQ, typically spent feeding the kids, etc. So, with the play group moms, we get the continuity of our weekly chats, even if interrupted several times, that really makes these new friendships a solid foundation for a happy-mommy life.  

We have been meeting weekly for 3 years. During that time, we have shared so much. Birthday parties, holiday celebrations, and occasional evening or the rare weekend away from the kids and the addition of many babies. T & I were the last couple to go from 1 to 2 kids when we brought G home from Ethiopia. This great group of ladies even planned a unique kind of baby shower for me -  they surprised me with a day of wine tasting, including a limo so we could all taste as much as we wanted. Here we are - shy one member - posing outside a little winery. It was a day well spent and I really appreciate the time. It actually took place months ago (March 8). 

Thanks ladies. Your friendship really means the world to me. 


No comments: