Thursday, April 1, 2010

Catching Up

For about the last year, any time B would draw a picture, we'd get this:


Scribbles. Lots and lots of scribbles. And he always said they were robots. Always.

I didn't worry too much because he's only 4. When we got to school last week and I finally saw the kinds of pictures most of his peers draw when they are given a blank piece of paper and a pen, I'll admit that I started to get a bit concerned. The girls were drawing lots of nature scenes: flowers, trees, butterflies, animals. The boys were drawing cars, people, animals and even robots. (However, I could tell they were robots.) I decided that we'd start talking a little bit more about art. I thought that if I spent a little time that maybe we'd see an improvement. I would be less concerned if he was actually focusing on what he was doing, but mostly, he just puts pen to paper for about 15 seconds then walks away.

Well, my little man CAN draw pictures. Not just scribbles. I told him this morning that after school we'd work on drawing some flowers. What did he do? Brought home a picture with two beautiful flowers on it. Then, this afternoon, we made a birthday card for one of his best friends. He drew 5 beautiful flowers in honor of her 5th birthday. I am so proud!!!


No comments: