Friday, May 7, 2010

Sick Mama Rant

I am not a fan of the word "HATE". I try to avoid it. However, I think when it comes to the flu, HATE is appropriate. I HATE THE FLU. I HATE FEELING THIS WAY. I hate feeling like I've been hit by a truck. I hate feeling pain in every hair follicle on my body. I hate not being able to take care of my family. I hate caring for my sick kids wondering when and if I will get it, too, because this year, I have gotten sick each and every time they have had a stomach virus. I hate that my hands are raw from washing them about 20 times per hour. I am frustrated that both kids missed an entire week of school, especially when they have less than one month left for this year. I am frustrated that I have not had a chance to work out all week when I am intended to run a 5K in 2 weeks. I am frustrated that we are going to miss a great auction tomorrow because I haven't left the house in a week and don't think I should infect a room full of charitable people. We have friends who have been working hard for Ethiopian Orphan Relief and we are going to miss the big night.

Enough complaining...

I am so thankful that we have family members who live close and who can help care for the kids when I am too sick to get out of bed. I am thankful that we have great doctors, clean water, electrolyte solution and other goodies that keep us hydrated and out of the hospital. (It is not lost on me that this type of flu could literally kill us if we lived in a under developed country.) I am thankful that I have a spouse who puts everything on hold (even when that seems impossible) to watch the kids, run errands or bring me a pint of Ben & Jerry's (now that my appetite is back). I am thankful that I have the energy to turn on the computer (that I have a computer to turn on and internet at my house, too) and complain via this blog about my crummy week.

No comments: