Monday, April 20, 2009

Elton John goes swimming

B has never been what I would call a joiner. Once he had the words to voice his opinion, he has always chosen to do his own thing rather than play a team sport or work on a group project. As an example, when we go to the local "pizza-playground" and they have story time and crafts, B would rather skip the story and art and head back to the slide. Last year during summer camp at his school, he cried on the first day of basketball camp. When the teacher explained that he didn't have to play, he could just sit and watch, he calmed down. The next day, about 1/3 of his classmates decided they'd rather sit out with him. Finally, when I asked him if he wanted to join some of his play group friends and take a soccer class this winter, he told me, "But Mom, I already know how to play soccer. I don't need to take a class."  

So, I was a bit leery about enrolling him in swimming lessons.  We'd gone to the pool with both B & G and saw how uncomfortable and unfamiliar it had become for him. (B & I took toddler parent-baby swimming classes for about 6 months so he'd been in a pool quite a bit but it had been more than a year ago.) I signed him up and we talked about it a bit in advance. He started to explain to me that he didn't need lessons - he knew how to swim. I told him that even Tiger Woods takes golf lessons to get better, so he was going to swimming - end of discussion. Well, he loves it. He tells me several times during each week that he is excited for Monday because he gets to swim. His class is small (4 students ages 3 - 5 years) and his instructor is very no-nonsense. They get into the water and she helps them put on fins and goggles. She doesn't give them a chance to say no, she just works with each of them through each skill and they get to go on the slide at the end of class. 

B chose his goggles himself today. I think he may have a future in show business...






No comments: