Friday, November 13, 2009

First Gift



Every day, 4,500 families bury their children due to contaminated water. They are forced to sustain the lives of their families with a diabolical liquid that contains both life and death. This lack of access to clean water is the leading cause of death in underdeveloped nations. And it doesn't have to be.

So as we gear up to scurry through the department stores and browse endless catalogs in search of new jeans, Tonka Trucks, gadgets and dolls...we are pausing. We are pausing. And today, November 13th, we are buying water. Clean, life-saving water.

$10 will provide one person in Africa with clean water for 10 years. It will literally change, and possibly save, someone's life. A mother. A child. A brother. A grandfather.

We are rallying together for a cause. For clean water. One day. $10. Asking everyone to let this be their first gift. Let water, let life, be their first gift of the season.

Click the link to be directed to the secure donation site of the highly recognized non-profit, charity:water. All donations are tax deductible, and 100% of the donations goes directly to clean water solutions in Africa. (They have all of their administrative fees paid by private donors so our donations go, 100%, to bring clean water.)



I know. Times are tough. But we are talking about WATER. Something most of us take for granted. I also know that there are so many worthy causes here in the US that need our attention. But we are talking about WATER. Those of us who live in the US have access to it, even if we live on the streets. Public restrooms. Drinking fountains. Garden hose.

Going to Africa was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. Best, because I got to experience the home country of my daughter. I got to see that even when they have NOTHING, the people of Africa are happy, loving, generous and kind. Worst, because for the rest of my life, there will always be a tug. An urge. A fire. How can I live my life and not do everything in my power to change what should be changed in Africa? We are talking about WATER.

Guess where he is going...
And these ladies...
Can you imagine spending your Sunday afternoon doing this?
Maybe, one day, she won't have to.

1 comment:

hotflawedmama said...

GREAT post! Thank you, thank you for coming on board. I think I have a few of those images in my aresenal as well. You can't go to Ethiopia/Africa and not be changed by what you saw. It says a lot that you don't let that change paralyze you. Thanks again!